Iron Sport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timed Carb Dieting - from ironaddicts.com

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Timed Carb Dieting - from ironaddicts.com - Page 2 Empty Re: Timed Carb Dieting - from ironaddicts.com

Post  Drew Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Sorry, I guess I didn't notice that when you posted it. You can eat over maintenance more than 2 times a week if you want. If you want to prioritize fat loss then eat over maintenance 2 days a week. If you want to prioritize building muscle then eat over maintenance 3-4 days a week. However, all of you days that are over maintenance should be consecutive. IE under maintenance Mon-Thurs, over maintenance Fri-Sun or something like that. You can set it up however you want, it just depends on what your priority is. Either way you will get there, it just takes patience and consistency. Just make sure that your carb-up days are over maintenance.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Timed Carb Dieting - from ironaddicts.com - Page 2 Empty Re: Timed Carb Dieting - from ironaddicts.com

Post  Refused Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Drew wrote:Sorry, I guess I didn't notice that when you posted it. You can eat over maintenance more than 2 times a week if you want. If you want to prioritize fat loss then eat over maintenance 2 days a week. If you want to prioritize building muscle then eat over maintenance 3-4 days a week. However, all of you days that are over maintenance should be consecutive. IE under maintenance Mon-Thurs, over maintenance Fri-Sun or something like that. You can set it up however you want, it just depends on what your priority is. Either way you will get there, it just takes patience and consistency. Just make sure that your carb-up days are over maintenance.

I see. Yea my split was workout/workout/off/workout/workout/off/off but I'll start arranging things consecutively. Mon-Thurs I'll eat over maintenance while Fri-Sun will be cardio/under maintenance. My carb-up days will also be on 2 of the 4 split days. Hope that sounds good!

And sorry for dragging this discussion on for so long Sad .

Refused

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Sounds good. Don't worry about asking questions, it's the only way to learn.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Refused Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Gah! Just read this on Iron Addicts:

15. If you are doing a diet that has a reasonable amount of carbs in it you can do HIIT cardio. If you are on an extremely low carb, or no carb diet you are better served by doing low intensity cardio. High intensity cardio requires glycogen for fuel. If you are already depleted on carbs the body will catabolize muscle to fuel your high intensity cardio sessions. You can bypass this to a certain degree by doing a PWO feeding after your HIIT sessions, but this is not really an option for the way many diets are laid out. BOTH methods work for fat loss—don’t let anyone tell you different. But they work by entirely different mechanisms and diet composition needs to be taken into account when planning cardio.

Does this mean I should stop doing my HIIT on non-workout days, when I really DO have 0 carbs in my system? Sigh, this is how I have been doing it for the past few weeks...and now I am afraid to do my HIIT today. Should I be doing more of a low intensity cardio instead?

EDIT: One other question. I have been using 1 cup oats, whey, and a banana as my PWO shake, but I want to buy dextrose and maltodextrin instead since that is what is recommended in the TCD; however, I don't know how many grams of each I should add to the shake. What's your opinion?

Refused

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Refused wrote:Gah! Just read this on Iron Addicts:

15. If you are doing a diet that has a reasonable amount of carbs in it you can do HIIT cardio. If you are on an extremely low carb, or no carb diet you are better served by doing low intensity cardio. High intensity cardio requires glycogen for fuel. If you are already depleted on carbs the body will catabolize muscle to fuel your high intensity cardio sessions. You can bypass this to a certain degree by doing a PWO feeding after your HIIT sessions, but this is not really an option for the way many diets are laid out. BOTH methods work for fat loss—don’t let anyone tell you different. But they work by entirely different mechanisms and diet composition needs to be taken into account when planning cardio.

Does this mean I should stop doing my HIIT on non-workout days, when I really DO have 0 carbs in my system? Sigh, this is how I have been doing it for the past few weeks...and now I am afraid to do my HIIT today. Should I be doing more of a low intensity cardio instead?

EDIT: One other question. I have been using 1 cup oats, whey, and a banana as my PWO shake, but I want to buy dextrose and maltodextrin instead since that is what is recommended in the TCD; however, I don't know how many grams of each I should add to the shake. What's your opinion?

Yeah, you will be better off doing it on carb-up days. You can do LISS anytime though, it will not affect recovery. Instead of dextrose or maltodextrin I would recommend waxy maize. It is basically the same but doesn't cause bloating like the other two. I believe IA has changed his opinion about this as well.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Refused Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 am

Drew wrote:
Refused wrote:Gah! Just read this on Iron Addicts:

Yeah, you will be better off doing it on carb-up days. You can do LISS anytime though, it will not affect recovery. Instead of dextrose or maltodextrin I would recommend waxy maize. It is basically the same but doesn't cause bloating like the other two. I believe IA has changed his opinion about this as well.

Do you have a link to a recommended brand/type? Also, how much of this waxy maize do you recommend post workout?

Refused

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 am

trueprotein.com has great quality supplements, and they're cheaper than just about anywhere else. I would recommend about 40 grams of waxy maize PWO.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Refused Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:42 am

Drew wrote:trueprotein.com has great quality supplements, and they're cheaper than just about anywhere else. I would recommend about 40 grams of waxy maize PWO.

Is...

Amylocel (Waxy Maize Starch)

What I am looking for?

Also...should I be taking this by itself PWO or could I add the oats or banana with it? And I was just curious, how come oats aren't better to take?

Refused

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 am

It doesn't really matter. It might be too many carbs if you take the oats or banana with it. The WMS will digest a little faster, but that's really it. It's all carbs. I wouldn't take whey in the same shake as the WMS though, it defeats the purpose. Take the WMS first, then wait about 20 minutes and take the whey.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2