Iron Sport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chest in Strongman

Go down

Chest in Strongman Empty Chest in Strongman

Post  Drew Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:29 am

A lot of bodybuilders and powerlifters that convert to strongman don't know how to train their chest for strongman. The first thing you have to realize is the chest is not a very important muscle in strongman. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't train it at all. You just need to choose movements that will have good carryover to strongman events. You will also need to incorporate your chest training into another one of you workout days. Training your chest on it's own day when your a strongman is just stupid. If you're worried about your chest shrinking from your lack of hitting it from "all angles" then quit strongman. But I dare you to find me a pro strongman with a small chest. Anyway, I'm going to list and explain for you the chest exercises I feel have the most carryover to strongman starting with the best.

1. Incline Barbell Bench Press - This is the best bench variation you can do for strongman training by far. It has excellent carryover to the log press. In fact, it might have more carryover than the military press. Some strongman competitions actually have an incline log press event. If you're going to use this lift I would recommend making it your first lift of the day and going as heavy as you can.

2. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - Basically the same as incline barbell. This could be used as a supplement to your overhead pressing if you like, instead of a primary pressing movement.

3. Close Grip Bench Press - CGBPs will help with your lockout strength on the log and axle press. Do these heavy.

4. 2 or 3 Board Press - Alternative to CGBP. You can also do close grip board presses. Do these heavy as well.

5. Flat Dumbbell Bench Press - If you're going to flat bench, dumbbells will have better carryover than barbell bench to events. Dumbbells require you to stabilize the weight more. I would recommend doing this as an assistance exercise for higher reps.

6. JM Presses - Another great lift for strengthening the triceps for overhead pressing movements.

7. Barbell Bench Press - While the bench is not going to be a primary movement in strongman training, it can have it's place. It is best done as an assistance exercise for higher reps. It helps strengthen all the pressing muscles, but typically does not have good enough carryover to be used as a primary pressing movement.

8. Cable Crossovers or Pec Deck - You're probably wondering how they hell they even made the list, huh? Well if you've ever picked up an atlas stone you know exactly why. The hardest part is squeezing the stone. These exercises mimic that movement.

I would recommend only training your chest once a week and only using one of the pressing movements above followed by either cable crossovers or pec deck flyes. Don't forget that your primary focus should be on overhead pressing and deadlifting.

Drew

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down