Iron Sport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eight Keys, A complete guide to maximal strength development.

2 posters

Go down

The Eight Keys, A complete guide to maximal strength development. Empty Re: The Eight Keys, A complete guide to maximal strength development.

Post  cmusicman92 Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Whoooh, this was a doozy of an article and I think that although not all of it applies to me (it seems like it's very powerlifting focussed), there was definitely a whole lot that I could take away from it. I think one of the biggest things is the need to have a team behind you. I know I've already got a great coach (thank you very much), but I still really need a good training partner to make my team complete. It's super frustrating, because I have actually been trying to find a good partner to lift with me, but everyone wants to make excuses. Whether it's not wanting to go at 5:30 in the morning or not wanting to go the days that I go I have not had anyone who's been willing to lift with me. It's upsetting. Where do you go to find good training partners and what do you look for in one?

cmusicman92

Back to top Go down

The Eight Keys, A complete guide to maximal strength development. Empty Re: The Eight Keys, A complete guide to maximal strength development.

Post  Drew Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 pm

cmusicman92 wrote:Whoooh, this was a doozy of an article and I think that although not all of it applies to me (it seems like it's very powerlifting focussed), there was definitely a whole lot that I could take away from it. I think one of the biggest things is the need to have a team behind you. I know I've already got a great coach (thank you very much), but I still really need a good training partner to make my team complete. It's super frustrating, because I have actually been trying to find a good partner to lift with me, but everyone wants to make excuses. Whether it's not wanting to go at 5:30 in the morning or not wanting to go the days that I go I have not had anyone who's been willing to lift with me. It's upsetting. Where do you go to find good training partners and what do you look for in one?

I've had the exact same problems ever since I started lifting. I think almost everyone has. When you're extremely dedicated to lifting it is hard to find someone who is as dedicated as you and has the same schedule as you. All of my training partners have been friends, whether they have been lifting longer than me, or are just wanting to get started. You'll know you've found a good training partner when they get excited about going to lift and start talking about it more. If they make excuses just go to the gym without them. If they're late then start without them. They'll get the point and maybe they'll show a little more commitment. Do you have any friends that like to lift? Or any friends that might want to start lifting? If not maybe you could meet someone at your gym, since they're already going at the same time as you.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cmusicman92 Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:00 pm

I think I can definitely start looking around the gym for more people to train with. The problem with getting more of my friends to lift with me is that I lift on the naval base and not a lot of them can get in. It sucks but I'm tryin to make do. I'll find someone...

cmusicman92

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:05 pm

cmusicman92 wrote:I think I can definitely start looking around the gym for more people to train with. The problem with getting more of my friends to lift with me is that I lift on the naval base and not a lot of them can get in. It sucks but I'm tryin to make do. I'll find someone...

Yeah, I understand. If you can't find a training partner I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of my lifting career I haven't had a training partner. I prefer to have one, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. The main benefit of a training partner is having a spotter for bench presses, but you can always ask someone at the gym to spot you. You have to learn to motivate yourself. It's your body. If you want to get bigger, stronger, leaner, or any combination of the three you are the only one holding you back. As long as you don't find yourself making excuses to skip the gym, cut a workout short, or not push yourself enough then you are doing all you can do. There are times when it's beneficial to hold back, cut a workout short, etc, but you need to know why you're doing it and how it will benefit you.

Drew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down